Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Around the apartment

The following was extracted from a conversation recently held about how, in honor of Half-Blood Prince, the teaching assistant is seriously considering bringing strategically designed snacks to a grad student gathering, despite the fact that among the group there are precious few people who have read Harry Potter. The Nanotribologist, I should note, has not read the books, although at least I have gotten her to watch the three DVDs, and is not going to witness the bout of unrestrained, nearly immoderate self-indulgence in recreational reading in which I will gleefully participate this weekend, since she'll be out of town.

NANOTRIBOLOGIST
Excited for Friday, are we?

TEACHING ASSISTANT
(grinning)
Yes! Getting progressively more hyper. Off topic, I have a question — I'm supposed to bring dessert on Thursday, and I need to take care of beverages, too. Right?

NANOTRIBOLOGIST
Yeah. I think Singing Physicist is bringing cups and stuff again.

TEACHING ASSISTANT
Related to both topics... I've been thinking about doing some Harry Potter themed cupcake art. But I'm not sure if I'm competent enough with icing.

NANOTRIBOLOGIST
(amused)
How would you frost them?

TEACHING ASSISTANT
Well, I suppose I'd draw lighting bolts, HP, golden snitches, and things along those lines. Now that I think about it, it all sounds rather easy. The grocery store sells little tiny frosting gel tubes that I could use. I should definitely do this.

NANOTRIBOLOGIST
(considering the situation)
They're going to think you're off your rocker.

TEACHING ASSISTANT
I thought they figured that out a long time ago.




UPDATE: I did indeed make those cupcakes. To prove it, I have photographic evidence, which shall appear shortly and which will show why I was never meant to be a cake decorater.