Wednesday, July 20, 2005

A discovery

Ooh! Professor Michael Drout, a well known Tolkien scholar, has a blog. It's called Wormtalk and Slugspeak. He has a highly interesting idea connected to the study of Medieval literature, the Crazy Sheep DNA Project. About this time last year, it wouldn't have caught my attention. Now, it did, and I think this crazy idea sounds brilliant.

What has changed since a year ago? Well, yours truly has had to read a whole lot of Medieval Spanish writing for the first time. I was introduced (briefly) to La Celestina and El Poema de Mio Cid way back during undergraduate year #1, but I didn't get the chance to spend much time on Medieval works then (nor did I desire to do so, to be honest, and for the most part that's still true). However, I can now appreciate why it would be helpful to know what analyzing sheep DNA might be able to reveal.

Thanks very much to Jeff from Quid Nomen Illius? for the tip!