Tuesday, July 05, 2005

For the love of all that is sacred...

The horror. As anyone who has ever read The Chronicles of Narnia well knows, and as C.S.L. points out on innumerable occasions, Aslan is not a tame lion. Aslan is not a stuffed animal either. Aslan should not be made into a stuffed animal either. It's just not right.

Narnia Fans warns of "Narnia-inspired stuffed animals" to come, and although it doesn't necessarily say that there will be a stuffed Aslan, I think it highly probable that marketing people wouldn't forget him. And the thought filled me with horror as soon as I read that bit of news. The thought also occured to me that this has probably been done before to Aslan. In any event, picturing Reepicheep or Jewel or Hwin or Mrs. Beaver or anyone else as stuffed animals is making me almost equally as ill.

I don't know exactly why I'm having this reaction specifically about a potential material representation of a fictional character. Is it because Aslan is such a messianic figure? Is it because the animals talk? Is it because the talking beasts in Narnia seem so real (for fiction) and are so special to me that seeing stuffed animal versions of them would make me feel as if I had seen several beloved, deeply thinking, highly conscious, very nearly human beings killed and taken to a taxidermist?