Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Friends with blogs

Some time ago, I reiterated my hope that one day a certain friend would start blogging. Well, that friend did start a blog! So, people who read me, I'd like to introduce you to Baxter of Igor's Laboratory. Also, say hi to Vacula. Both are friends I met in college. Even if I didn't know Baxter and Vacula, however, I think the fact that they both list Bad Christian Fiction of the 50s-70s in their respective profiles as an interest would make it absolutely imperative that I stick them in my links list. But more about that topic later.

Baxter is now a grad student in English literature. She is the funniest person I know. I do not say that lightly.

Vacula is almost entirely responsible for causing me to rediscover good fantasy fiction; she lent me her copy of Sabriel one winter day when I desperately needed some recreational reading to distract me from schoolwork, something that at that point was very closely linked to maintaining my sanity. (Still is, as a matter of fact.) Reading Sabriel reminded me how much I loved high quality fantasies as a child and preteen. This begged the question, "Outside of novels by J.K. Rowling, C.S. Lewis, and J.R.R. Tolkien, why am I not reading any of it now?"

About Bad Christian Fiction of the 50s-70s: I remember one book that Vacula dredged from her church library (or a similar source) called Orphan by Choice. It was published in 1959, and it was terrible. Absolutely terrible. The premise was worse. The novel, an unforgettable specimen of bad moralistic fiction written for protestants, was so bad we'd laugh hysterically at it while wanting to cry over the content. It, along with its genre, deserves a skewering of the type seen only in books along the lines of James Lileks's The Gallery of Regrettable Food and Interior Desecrations... I would love to see that done, and done by one or more theologically sound, egalitarian minded evangelical Christians with a sense of humor. Preferably female.