Sunday, July 31, 2005

My favorite historian

As you could tell from the All Consuming sidebar feature, I've been reading some more Mark Noll: The Work We Have To Do: A History of Protestants in America. It was fascinating. I love to read about the history of Christianity, but all most all such reading I've done in the past has had to do with Christianity in the greater Mediterranean area and Europe from its beginnings up until, say 1650. Suffice it to say I decided I needed to brush up on some aspects of more recent Church history. This book is short, and obviously much more could be said about much within its subject matter, but the purpose of this paperback is not to serve as an encyclopedia of American Protestantism. As it is, this small book does an admirable job of covering so much in so few pages and leaves me wanting to read more. Happily, Noll gives a long list of recommended titles for further reading. I think it quite safe to assume that my parents have at least one of those in their library, so I should probably warn them that I plan to borrow several volumes next time I get the chance to gaze upon those hallowed shelves...