Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Praise them! The librarians, praise them with great praise!

That's not a reference to anything biblical; rather, it is an allusion to what the men of King Elessar say of a nine-fingered hobbit and his gardener on the field of Cormallen in The Return of the King. Anyway.

I love my school's librarians. I also love libraries in general. I am feeling particularly good feelings towards my library's personnel at the moment (a) for helping me find a book I discovered at the last minute that I needed for a project and (b) because I've spent more time in the library in the past several weeks than I think I did all of last semester.

Speaking of libraries, I reread Garth Nix's Lirael (yet again) not that long ago, and that book has the best, most unique, most enticing, and positively thrilling description of a library I've ever had the luck to encounter. So now when I climb the almost-but-not-quite spiraling steps of the more obscure staircases of my library and prowl through the stacks, I think of Lirael researching how to defeat a Stilken on the sly and exploring all the dangerous yet interesting rooms that are, of course, off-limits to third assistant librarians in the great library of the Clayr, and I let my imagination run wild... it doesn't get to do that enough these days.