Saturday, October 08, 2005

Quoteable, or It was really funny if you were there

INT. A LIVING ROOM, SOMEWHERE - EVENING

A group of grad students are eating dessert or something like that. The group includes but is not limited to THE TEACHING ASSISTANT, THE NANOTRIBOLOGIST, VARIOUS OTHER GRAD STUDENTS, and someone who the Teaching Assistant has decided to dub THE BOARD GAME AFICIONADO (that would be this guy, a fellow TA who has made at least one other appearance around here). Someone has just asked the Board Game Aficionado about his class.

BOARD GAME AFICIONADO
So, seriously, do I look old?

EVERYONE ELSE
No.

BOARD GAME AFICIONADO
Because the other day, one of my students had the nerve to ask me if I'd studied in a German university before the Reunification.

Everyone present LAUGHS. Laughter is prolonged when the date of the Reunification is emphasized.

SOME OTHER GRAD STUDENT
Well, at least that demonstrates a knowledge of history... how did you react?

BOARD GAME AFICIONADO
I actually asked, "How old do you think I am?" I mean, of course I was studying abroad, at a university, when I was about eight years old.

LAUGHTER continues.

YET ANOTHER GRAD STUDENT
(to the group)
And he was there when the Russians took Berlin...