Tuesday, December 27, 2005

A book a day progress

I finished the Ernesto Cardenal poetry anthology last night. It was good. I like reading Cardenal's poems. My first encounter with them took place in a Latin American culture and civilization class I took as an undergraduate. Cardenal's liberation theology and the occasional syncretistic link established between Christianity and the religions of indigenous American people groups make me feel a little uncomfortable on occasion,* but other than that I really enjoy his writing. It is especially interesting to see how he incorporates quotes from chronicles that tell of the fall of the Aztec empire into some of his verses.

Now, I'm going to work on some Cisneros and García Morales. If I finish both those books today, I will have read four books in four days and won't be behind any longer in my quest to read a book a day.



*I sympathize with many elements of liberation theology, but sometimes things go too far. Another thing... it gets to me when Cardenal (or anyone, really) starts going off in a hagiographical manner about the martyrdom of Che. I'm probably in the minority within my field with respect to this opinion, but I'm not a big fan of Che.