Saturday, December 17, 2005

I'm feeling indecisive... your input, please!

I've made a poll so people who read my blog can help me overcome this moment of indecision. In a few days, I've got a bit of traveling to do. I also need to start winter break well by reading something academic; I've got a whole lot of reading that must be done as soon as possible. However, like I said, I'm feeling indecisive. Maybe that's because I'd really rather reread something like Eragon or Sabriel or a Harry Potter book... but I'm not in grad school to study any of those. Unfortunately.

What should I read on the plane? Here are the candidates:

*Two of the Novelas ejemplares by Miguel de Cervantes. These are pretty short — but the font is small, and this is a Golden Age text, meaning that it would behoove me to have a dictionary in my backpack while traveling.

*El carnero by Juan Rodríguez Freyle. It's about 500 pages of small font in size, and it's a chronicle of the conquest of Nueva Granada composed in the 1600's. Obviously, it's going to take me longer than just one plane trip to read this thing, even if that trip were to involve me crossing several oceans... I really don't want to read this right now, mostly because its length is intimidating me, but now would be better than having to deal with it several months down the road.

*Me llamo Rigoberta Menchú y así me nació la conciencia. It is (supposedly, some say) nonfiction. I predict it will be very depressing. The upside is that this is written in modern Spanish.

*La Diana by Jorge de Montemayor. It's 400 some pages long, and part of it's in verse. It dates from the 1500's, so the dictionary might also need to come. The genre is the pastoral, or so I've heard. I really lack the motivation to pick up this book.

*El silencio de las sirenas by Adelaida García Morales. I don't know anything about this novel, good or bad, other than the fact that its author is from Spain and is a few years older than my parents. The book was published recently enough that my copy doesn't have any sort of critical introduction. It's under 200 pages.

*Or, I could go the theory route: M.M. Bakhtin's The Dialogic Imagination. A few years ago, about half-way through college, I tried reading some Bakhtin. I understood very little, and I'm a bit afraid to try again for fear I still won't understand.

Vote away! (If you read my blog though RSS feeds, the polls probably aren't appearing for you — you'll need to access the non-RSS form of the blog to vote.)
UPDATE: Okay, polls are closed now. Results are here



After I read the book selected in that poll, I'll go with something fun to reward myself. You can pick that one, too.



You have until Thursday to cast your vote(s).