Thursday, December 01, 2005

Thanksgiving conversations, 2

INT. HOTEL LOBBY, SATURDAY NIGHT

After THE TEACHING ASSISTANT checks into the hotel closest to her airport of departure, it's time to say a few goodbyes. Her PARENTS and YOUNGEST BROTHER have just driven her to the hotel and are about to embark on what will be a long car trip home. They are present in the lobby. After bidding her parents farewell, the Teaching Assistant turns to her Youngest Brother and GIVES HIM A SIDE ARM HUG, her other arm holding on to her suitcase.

TEACHING ASSISTANT
Well, goodbye! I love you. I'll see you at Christmas.

YOUNGEST BROTHER
You too. See you then, and may the [our favorite NFL team] win the Super Bowl.

TEACHING ASSISTANT
(grinning)
Yes, may they indeed!

Their parents, very amused, LAUGH.




The funniest thing was how my brother said that. Picture the "May the Force be with you" farewell from Star Wars; that's the general idea. (You may have not expected this from me, but I follow professional football and regularly read Gregg Easterbrook's TMQ. This season is making me very happy.)