Thursday, January 05, 2006

College majors

You scored as Linguistics. You should be a Linguistics major!

Linguistics

100%

English

100%

Mathematics

83%

Philosophy

83%

Journalism

67%

Dance

58%

Psychology

58%

Sociology

42%

Anthropology

33%

Chemistry

33%

Art

33%

Theater

33%

Engineering

25%

Biology

8%

What is your Perfect Major?
created with QuizFarm.com

My perfect major is Linguistics? Any professor of the three from whom I have ever taken Linguistics classes would have a good laugh over that suggestion, let me tell you. I really like Linguistics, mind you, and I understand it now much better than I did, say, a year ago, but it is not my forte. (Oh, by the way, composing and memorizing The Twelve Days of Linguistics was useful on that final exam: I passed! Huzzah! I haven't felt that relieved about test results since the GRE!)

Regarding the top three runners-up:

The quiz had to give me a tie-breaker question to determine the winner, since it evidently didn't think through the possibility that one could decide to double major in English and Linguistics! Essentially, I did major in English... it's just that we never did much in the English language in my major's classes. How one goes about further perfecting one's writing skills (once one is fluent or close to fluent in a given tongue) and analyzing literature doesn't vary all that much from language to language. So, we could say that I majored in "English" but just without speaking or writing in English! I did that part in Spanish instead.

Majoring in Math might have worked if I had wanted to go down that path when I finished high school. Hey, I did pass an AP Calculus test, so I clearly wasn't completely incompetent in the field back when I was actually taking classes it! However, I would not have enjoyed those classes much. I wasn't required to take any college math classes, given what I wanted to study, so I didn't sign up for any.

Majoring in Philosophy would have been a complete and total disaster. This subject matter was the bane of my undergraduate GPA.

Regarding the rest:

Psychology would have been interesting but very difficult. Believe me, I tried. I think Anthropology and I would have gotten along well. Sociology? Maybe yes, maybe no. Anything else on the list? Absolutely not.

I found the quiz by way of TulipGirl.