Saturday, January 21, 2006

I got a new book!

Well, usually the above isn't news. It's especially not news during the month in which a new semester of teaching classes and taking classes commences. I bring home many new and/or new-to-me books around this time. However, this book's circumstances are not typical. For one, I acquired it from a different source than Amazon.com, Abebooks.com, or my institution of higher learning's bookstore. One of my friends, a guy who likes to think and talk about theology and related subjects (as do I), was looking to give away some books. These primarily fell in the categories of Christianity, Theology, Church History, etc. Some were older titles, some were recently published. He was giving them away because he didn't think he'd need to read them again (or have the time to reread them), and he brought a whole box of them for people to peruse to a sort-of-meeting.

The result: I scored a copy of D.A. Carson's Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church, first published in 2005. It's a gently-used paperback and looks brand new. Huzzah! This book had been on my Amazon.com wish list for a very long time. I probably won't have time to read it anytime within the next six months, but that's beside the point. It's a new book! It's a book I really wanted! It's free!

Later, when he saw the book I had chosen, he commented, "I knew you'd end up with that one."