Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A realization made a few days too late

Curses! I just realized that even though I am going to be writting a paper that's on a topic that excites me much (see the post immediately below or click here), I am senselessly wasting bidding farewell to my only chance to justify writing a full length grad school research paper on Harry Potter. (When I said that the topic was as open-ended as open-ended could possibly get, I meant it. Also, I have the advantage of owning and having read all the HP books in Spanish already.)

I'm still going to go ahead and write the paper I planned to write. It's in my best academic interests, anyway, and it's not as if I could never write something related to the Potter canon when I get a bit more free time (Summer vacation? Winter vacation? Summer after next?) — I could always submit something to MuggleNet editorials or Scribbulus, the essays page at The Leaky Cauldron. Plus, submitting an essay to one of them would make it more likely that more than one person (my professor) would actually read the thing... Oh, yeah, and as I don't think this prof has read any Harry Potter book, I'd be writing for an audience who wouldn't know the difference between a horcrux and a howler (meaning that there would need to be more footnotes per page in this paper than you'd see per page in the average study Bible). That'd be problematic.

Well, I suppose I could always insert a HP reference (a metaphor, probably) in the paper I've decided to write. I know for a fact that I wouldn't be the first person in my field of study to have done this in a research paper...