Thursday, May 25, 2006

Escapism-ing: a "children's literature" meme

Here we have a nice meme I discovered through Devon of Talk of Summertime. Disclaimer: I am using a loose definition of a "children's book" that, among other things, includes young adult fiction. I don't like the label "children's book," but as I've vented about this subject before, I'll refrain from ranting again at the present time. All I'll say is that my list here assumes an extremely loose definition of "children's book."

Three places from children's books I would like to live in:

1. The Great Library of the Clayr in Lirael. I know it's dangerous, yes. But it's exciting and dangerous! Sometimes when I'm in my college's library, I'll pretend that I'm in the Library of the Clayr.

2. The Castle Anvard from The Horse and His Boy. This is located in Archenland, Narnia's neighbor to the south: I'm much more interested in this place than in Cair Paravel, although that would be a fun place to live also.

3. Bag End from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. I'd have to raise the ceilings a little, though.

Three places I would not want to live in, even though I like the books:

1. Anywhere in the world where Shade's children is set. Calling that place a dystopia is putting it mildly.

2. Jonas's community from the book The Giver. This community is also dystopian, but to make things worse, almost nobody is aware of it.

3. Cittàgazze from His Dark Materials.

Three schools from children's books that would have been cool to attend:

1. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Did you even have to ask?

2. Wyverley College, where Sabriel went to school.

3. You know, I actually can't think of a third one.

Three schools from children's books I would not want to attend:

1. Experiment House, where Eustace Scrubb and Jill Pole attend in The Silver Chair. I'm in agreement with Devon; I actually thought of this as an answer before I saw what she had written!

2. Battle school from Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. It's fun to read about, but I wouldn't have lasted a week.

3. Miss Minchin's Seminary for Young Ladies. That's the place where Sara Crewe goes to school in A Little Princess.

Labels: , , , ,