Thursday, May 04, 2006

Me, a writer?

You Should Be a Film Writer

You don't just create compelling stories, you see them as clearly as a movie in your mind.
You have a knack for details and dialogue. You can really make a character come to life.
Chances are, you enjoy creating all types of stories. The joy is in the storytelling.
And nothing would please you more than millions of people seeing your story on the big screen!

I'd love to write fiction for a living. If it were easier to break into the film industry, it's possible I might have tried being a screenwriter instead of going to grad school in literature. However, even if it were easier it's safe to say I would have ended up unemployed. See, there's a problem: my creative writing (some short stories, the shamefully sappy poems written by my nineteen-year-old self and which have since been destroyed, and a few ill-fated, half-finished screenplays) simply isn't very good. This is a cold fact of life. Add to that the facts that my protagonists suffer from being too autobiographical, the secondary characters seem like they were cut from cardboard, every story idea I have is totally depressing, and I have written barely anything since my undergraduate days (no time, no energy): there's not much hope for me as any kind of writer of fiction, no matter what the media. Well, at least I've come to terms with this!