Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Meme therapy: pet peeves

I found this meme at jo(e)'s page, and it originated at RevGalBlogPals. The latter advertises this meme like so: "Here's your chance to vent, gripe, and grumble to your heart's content. Go ahead, it's therapeutic." As I was already in the mood to vent some frustration...

1. Grammatical pet peeve
It's a tough call between the misuse of apostrophes and the misspelling of definitely.

2. Household pet peeve
Having a dirty kitchen: few things have the power to frustrate, annoy, irritate, and anger me like stacks of unclean dishes piling up in the sink, crumbs lying on countertops, people leaving jars that formerly held food products by the sink without giving a thought to rinsing them out, and so on.

3. Arts & Entertainment pet peeve (movie theaters, restaurants, concerts)
The cell phone thats rings during a movie or a performance is an abomination. Even if that phone is set to vibrate instead of demonstrate its owner's choice of ringtone, people seated close to its owner still notice it when it goes off, and if they're like me, they take umbrage. I am of the opinion that people should either keep them on silent mode, turn them off, or leave them behind where they will disturb no one.

4. Liturgical pet peeve
It's a tie between Jesus-is-my-boyfriend praise songs, the congregation applauding after an offertory or other musical piece performed in church (the music is for the glory of God, not the glory of the musicians), and sermons based heavily on chronic misinterpretations on the Greek words for love, particularly agape. Almost always, those sermons will have Jesus's post-Resurrection encounter with Peter on the beach of the Sea of Galilee as the text. If not, they'll reference it at least once. As for those worship songs, I'm not referring to the concept of Christ as "Bridegroom of the Soul." I'm fine with that idea. See a little more on Jesus-is-my-boyfriend praise songs here.

5. Wild card--pet peeve that doesn't fit any of the above categories
The incorrect alphabetization of books by authors whose last name consists of more than one word. This crime is, from what I've seen, most often visited upon Spanish language authors. I hate having to look in multiple places before I finally find the place where some book by Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz or Tirso de Molina that I need to purchase was misshelved.

Bonus: Because all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God: What do YOU do that others might consider a pet peeve?
I'm sure there are many. The first that comes to mind is that I sometimes finish people's sentences for them. This happens most often when I am talking animatedly with other people on a topic of mutual interest, especially when said topic involves literature or film. I am making an effort to do this less. My apologies in particular to those of you with whom I regularly discuss Harry Potter, Orson Scott Card, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Joss Whedon, C.S. Lewis, and ALIAS... I will try to listen better and talk less.

Labels: , ,