Thursday, August 17, 2006

Overheard

Yesterday, I was at the public library closest to my place of residence when I overheard a few preteen girls talking loudly about the Harry Potter books. Their conversation both amused me and made me want to cringe a little. The gist of what they were saying was that they liked the Harry Potter books before they saw any of the movies. However, after seeing the films, they now find rereading the books even more fun. The main reason they gave for this is now because when they read, they think about the male actors. To paraphrase the most vocal of the group, "Because of Daniel Radcliffe. Daniel Radcliffe is so hot. And Rupert Grint is so hot. And James and Oliver Phelps."

(To refresh your memory, Daniel Radcliffe portrays Harry Potter, Rupert Grint plays Ron Weasely, and James and Oliver Phelps are the Weasley twins.)

Looking back on what I overheard, I think the part that most made me want to cringe was that it didn't take me long to realize exactly what I would have added to the discussion, were I their age...

Labels: