Friday, August 18, 2006

Tamora Pierce

Okay, we all know I like books.

Recently, thanks be to God for libraries, I discovered a new author I really enjoy: Tamora Pierce. The first book of hers that I read was First Test, the first of four volumes in the series Protector of the Small, which is about a girl named Keladry of Mindelan. When I say that I love this quartet of books, I mean that I adore it. Kel is now on my list of favorite fictional characters of all time. However, before I finished this series, I went and read two other four-book sagas authored by Pierce that are set in that same fantasy world, Song of the Lioness (which is about Alanna, who strives to become the first female knight in her kingdom in over a century) and Immortals (which centers around Daine, a girl who possesses a powerful magic over animals). These were published prior to the Protector of the Small books, and many characters from those reappear.

Things keep improving. I enjoy each passing series more than the one that came before it. Alanna I liked, but Daine was even better. Then, enter Keladry. Now, I've progressed to another, more recent set of books (please, please let it turn into another quartet!), and I think the trend is going to continue. Today I finished the first book in it, Trickster's Choice, a wonderful piece of high fantasy laced with espionage (yay!) and full to brimming with interesting characters that force me to laugh out loud every few pages. For this particular reader, it seriously doesn't get much better than this. Next up on the recreational reading list is Trickster's Queen.

Labels: