Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Knightly things

I've got to say, now that I have seen A Knight's Tale, a movie whose many on-purpose anachronisms I found hilarious and entirely delightful, I cannot help but read Geoffrey Chaucer Hath a Blog in an entirely different light. I'm now hearing what Chaucer writes at his blog as if it were delivered by Paul Bettany's interpretation of the man. The effect is indescribable. And funny.

More on A Knight's Tale...

It was nice to watch a movie in which a Firefly cast member (Alan Tudyk) had a significant role.

Being familiar with medieval literature (even though what I know best was written in Spanish, not English) made certain aspects of the movie even funnier for me. Particularly the scene in which Will writes a letter to his lady. I was mentally yelling, "Ars dictaminis!* Ars dictaminis! Will, listen to Chaucer! He knows these things!" Then, there was the movie's take on the courtly love (although amor cortés is the term I'm used to using) angle... heh. I laughed.

All the jousting was making me think about a number of books written by Tamora Pierce. Mostly, the series about Keladry of Mindelan. I was thinking things like "If Keladry were to joust with Will, Kel would win. No question about it. She'd unseat him on the first try and take his horse. And Sir Raoul would make a fortune betting on her."




*That's the art of letter writing. There were manuals for writing all sorts of different letters.

Labels: ,