Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Further adventures in bibliophily

I'd like to introduce you to a few of the newer friends on my bookshelves, which I look forward to reading soon (or rereading soon, as the case may be). Soon is defined as "on Sundays or when I finally get to go on vacation or when I'm riding in a bus and the ride is smooth enough that I can read without starting to feel carsick." This school term's been pretty crazy. I very much look forward to the day when I will no longer need to limit my recreational reading to the bus and Sundays.

Yeah, there are several themes going on in this list. Fantasy, espionage, intrigue, adventure...

Brooks, Terry. The Sword of Shannara.
Butcher, Jim. Storm Front: Book One of The Dresden Files.
Chesterton, G.K. Father Brown.
Fleming, Ian. Live and Let Die, The Man With the Golden Gun, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and The Spy Who Loved Me. They presented themselves to me cheaply, and I figured it was high time I read some of the most iconic tales of espionage ever penned.
Hobb, Robin. Royal Assassin.
Novik, Naomi. His Majesty's Dragon.
Peretti, Frank. The Tombs of Anak and Trapped at the Bottom of the Sea. These were two of my favorites back when I was eleven or so years old. Granted, there were probably two hundred other books I would have labeled "favorites" around that time too... I was an inveterate bibliophile long before I turned eleven.
Pierce, Tamora. First Test, Page, and Terrier.
Pope, Elizabeth Marie. The Perilous Gard.

A good number of these were purchased used and cost so little that I could justify buying a few of the others new! As a result of these and my last few book-acquiring excursions, my fiction shelves are overflowing.

Labels: