Monday, February 05, 2007

2001: A Space Odyssey

Sunday night, I watched Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. While I can understand why it is revered by many as a classic (the special effects, the gorgeous soundtrack, the cinematography, the science fictiony goodness), it is not a movie I plan on watching again. I also had no clue how to interpret it or connect the different parts of the story. The middle portion with HAL-9000 I thought inspired, but I had not the slightest idea of how it was related to the dawn of civilization, unless we want to talk variations on Cain/Abel relationships, to say nothing of what HAL has to do with the monolith.

The. Movie. Dragged. On. And. On. And. On. It felt so much longer than merely two hours and change. I'm not referring to the lack of dialogue here. The lack of dialogue I rather enjoyed, and I don't think that was what made the movie feel so lengthy. I think the real cuplrit is Kubrick liking to stretch every scene to the greatest degree possible.

Keep in mind that this comment regarding pacing and length is coming from someone who holds the opinion that The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, which clocked in at 3 hours 21 minutes, was too short.

Labels: