Thursday, October 18, 2007

Recreational Reading Happiness

It's been a long week with not enough sleep. Similar to the past few weeks in that respect, actually, and that partially explains why I haven't written anything here for a few weeks. I have got to stop burning the proverbial candle at both ends! Anyway, I read something over at Australian author Garth Nix's website that made me forget entirely about what a long week it's been and replaced my feelings of tiredness with a sense of euphoria. Mr. Nix announces:
I will be writing two more novels set in the Old Kingdom and Ancelstierre. They will be published by Allen & Unwin in Australia and by HarperCollins US and HarperCollins UK.

The first, probably out in 2010, will be Clariel: The Lost Abhorsen, which is the story of the young woman who eventually became Chlorr of the Mask. It takes place about 320 years before the events in Sabriel. The second is untitled, and is a sequel of sorts to Abhorsen, taking place several years later. It should be out in 2011. Both 2010 and 2011 seem like a long way away but no doubt will sneak up on me horribly when I least expect it. Sometimes I think time is a practitioner of the secret Welsh martial art of Llap-Goch.

Before those two Old Kingdom books I have to finish The Keys to the Kingdom (I'm nearly done with Superior Saturday, so just Lord Sunday after that) and there will also be a standalone science fiction novel, called A Confusion of Princes, which should be out in 2009.


Huzzah! The Old Kingdom series is among my top five favorite fantasy series ever. The others on the current list, for those who were wondering, are Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia, and the Protector of the Small quartet by Tamora Pierce. Suffice it to say, knowing that one of these series has books yet to come made my day.

Labels: