Thursday, December 06, 2007

Reading the Ryanverse

One of my friends wanted to know in what order I thought he should read Tom Clancy's books about Jack Ryan (and books featuring other characters first introduced in books about Jack Ryan). I know that at least several people reading this blog will be interested in my opinion, so here's my answer.

I recommend reading them either in order of publication or in order of the chronology within the series, but there is room for flexibility with Red Rabbit and Without Remorse. You could read Red Rabbit at any time after reading Patriot Games. You'll want to read Without Remorse at some point before you get to Rainbow Six, but aside from that it really doesn't matter with Without Remorse, since Jack isn't the protagonist or instrumental in setting up the book's premise.

I myself have yet to read The Bear and the Dragon or The Teeth of the Tiger - maybe I'll get to those over Christmas break - but it's safe to say you'll want to save those for the end. (UPDATE: I did get to those two books over break, and I liked the latter much better than the former.)

Chronology of publication
The Hunt for Red October (1984)
Patriot Games (1987)
The Cardinal of the Kremlin (1988)
Clear and Present Danger (1989)
The Sum of All Fears (1991)
Without Remorse (1993)
Debt of Honor (1994)
Executive Orders (1996)
Rainbow Six (1998)
The Bear and the Dragon (2000)
Red Rabbit (2002)
The Teeth of the Tiger (2003)

Chronology of events within the series
Without Remorse
Patriot Games
Red Rabbit
The Hunt for Red October
The Cardinal of the Kremlin
Clear and Present Danger
The Sum of All Fears
Debt of Honor
Executive Orders
Rainbow Six
The Bear and the Dragon
The Teeth of the Tiger

Happy reading!

Labels: