Friday, January 11, 2008

A book recommendation

For those of you who enjoy fantasy or adventure stories, I strongly suggest you pick up a copy of Here, There Be Dragons by author-illustrator James A. Owen, a book that I finished late tonight and absolutely loved. It is a splendid, delightful little book. I grinned the whole way through it, I was having so much fun reading. I especially recommend Here, There Be Dragons to people who like J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. I eagerly await reading its new sequel, The Search for the Red Dragon, which was published less than two weeks ago. We wants it, we needs it, we must have this book... methinks Sméagol will visit the bookstore again, yesss, precious...

Side note 1: those of you studying literature in some shape or form will be pleased to know that there is an immense quantity of intertextuality in this book to entertain you. Especially that involving fantasy authors throughout the ages.

Side note 2: Orson Scott Card loved the book as well and wrote a very nice cover blurb for it: "Is there anyone who wouldn't enjoy reading Here, There Be Dragons? If there is such a person, I haven't met him, and I doubt that I would like him if I did. I am only disappointed that, because this book is so new, I'll have to wait too long to read the sequels."

Labels: , , , ,