Friday, June 27, 2008

Caspian

I've seen the new film version of Prince Caspian twice.  I liked it better the second time I saw it than the first time.  I think that's because I was thinking too much about book comparisons all throughout the first viewing.  All in all, it's a good movie, although I think that its predecessor, The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe, is better.  

Assorted thoughts on Narnia books and movies

1. My favorite character of those who appear for a significant amount of time in more than one book?  Hands down, it's Edmund.  Incidentally, I love the way he has been played in the movies by Skandar Keynes.

2. My favorite character who appears for a significant amount of time in only one book?  Shasta, closely followed by Aravis.

3. My favorite book?  The Horse and His Boy.

4. The cover of The Magician's Nephew scared me when I was a child.  I've been trying to find a picture of that cover on the internet but have been unsuccessful thus far.  It was a drawing of Jadis gripping Polly's hair as Polly, Digory, and Jadis fall into The Wood between the Worlds, and it absolutely terrified me.

5. The original Pauline Baynes cover art for The Magician's Nephew is eerily similar to several covers of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.  There are some similarities between Baynes's cover and the American PoA cover drawn by Mary GrandPré but a lot more with the Spanish and French cover art for the same Potter book.  

Labels: